Thursday, June 24, 2010

twenty

June 20th, 2010

Day 20

Life on the Isle of Harris is coming to an end and things are slowing down for now. My shins, ankles, and arch supports are experiencing the worst pain ever and it is extremely hard to walk. Other than that, I attempted to sleep in while a select few were going on a 6 mile hike(yesterday's was only 2 miles).  Since my attempt at sleeping in failed miserably I woke up and continued to read Dear John, I found Sarah and Noah were on a mission so I decided to jump in. Sarah, Noah, Billie, Katie, Julian, and I decided to venture out to experience a new church style - Scotland Free Presbyterian Church. First of all you need to understand that we are staying in a village of maybe 75 people, in their culture the Sabbath Day is only for multiple church visits and bible reading, there are no instruments, and many people speak the native language of Gallic. Not one word was spoken between members before or after church and no one even flinched throughout the entire service. Luckily only the songs were in their native language. It would be nice to say that I got something out of the hour long sermon, but all that was said(and repeated) was "you are going to hell- God is judging you."In other words, not a whole lot was taken from that service other than a great cultural experience. Apparently words spread fast throughout the viliages because 4 hours later everyone knew that there were Americans in church.

Since it was our free day(packing day) Sarah, Christina, and I took a short walk to the pier and ended up chatting it up on the rocks. It was the perfect end to our last night on Harris. Well, that and burgers were the perfect end.

Traci

No comments:

Post a Comment